How To: No-Bake Energy Bites
I love having homemade snacks on hand when I am really busy and need to grab some quick energy. Store bought protein and energy bars are usually so expensive! I stick to either Lara Bars or Kind Bars because they have the cleanest ingredient list and are delicious, but I just cannot afford them every week. It's super easy to throw together something similar with ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Yesterday I threw together Peanut Butter Oat Energy Bites. These are an example of how you can make your own. I always stick to minimal ingredients (makes it the easiest) and make sure I have a protein, healthy fat and carb to cut the hunger and give me sufficient energy. I also tend to add in some sweetness in the form of chocolate. Always chocolate.
The key with making these is the consistency. I have found that a no-fail formula is to have about three to four dry ingredients and only one to two wet ingredients - one of which should have some binding power (like a nut butter.) For example, in these bites, I included almost equal parts protein powder and oats. I then added in equal parts chia seeds and chocolate chips. After adding three tablespoons of peanut butter, I mixed everything together and slowly added one tablespoon at a time of almond milk. This is key!! You don't want the mixture to be overly dry or wet. It should be like a really thick cookie dough that you can easily form into balls or bars. These are truly so easy to make and you can play around with so many different flavors and add ins.
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 tbsp chocolate chips (I got a little heavy handed with this ingredient)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk (could also use water)
- Combine protein powder, oats and chia seeds and mix
- Add peanut butter and mix well (mixture should be a bit crumbly - cue to add more liquid)
- Add almond milk or water one tbsp at a time and mix
- When mixture is at a dough-like consistency, fold in chocolate chips or any other add ins
- Roll into balls and place on wax paper
- Store in fridge or freezer